Saturday 24 October 2015

Meeting Anna del Conte.

Meeting Anna del Conte | The Foodie Bugle
Her final paragraphs in her autobiography are very moving, describing the silence and solitude experienced by the partner that is left behind.

“There is nobody to tell me what article I must not miss in today’s newspaper, what television programme I must watch; nobody to switch on the radio for me so I can listen to my favourite piece of music while I’m cooking….
And, worst of all, nobody to deal with banks, bonds, insurance policies, and to ring up and talk to people I cannot understand.
At the venerable age of 82, there seems little hope of feeling less lonely, less quiet or less tired….And then I think of my grandchildren and all the meals I have yet to cook and share with them. Suddenly I have a reason for living.”

No comments:

Post a Comment