Monday, June 1, 2015
Butternut Squash, Apple Soup.
1/2 butternut squash - peeled, seeded and chopped
1 tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored and chopped
- squash and apple ratio should be 3:1
1 shallot; chopped
1 carrots; chopped
1 sticks celery; chopped
1 leek - Cut the ends off the leeks, quarter them lengthways, wash them under running water and cut them into 1cm slices.
1 glove of garlic - not a whole bulb of garlic, just a piece!
4 cups chicken stock
1/6 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes; or more to taste
Worcestershire sauce - optional - to taste
- Heat a large thick-bottomed pot on medium-high heat.
Melt the butter in the pot and let it foam up and recede.
Add the leek, shallot, carrot, garlic and celery and sauté for 5 minutes.
Lower the heat if the vegetables begin to brown.
- Add the butternut squash, apple and stock.
Bring to boil.
Reduce to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or so, until the squash and carrots have softened.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the soup, or work in batches and purée the soup in a standing blender
- Add pinches of nutmeg and cayenne
- Add Worcestershire sauce
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or chives.
'via Blog this'